Monday, July 7, 2008

H&H

It is hot and humid in New York, the worse kind of weather to be walking around. Of course, I could say that when it is raining, too cold, too hot, too anything!

I went to see a new prospect this afternoon, and the first thing that I noticed was that all the sales people were at their desks...in the middle of the afternoon. When I asked why, the answer was that it was too hot!

I could not believe my ears, that someone actually said that to me! How could any sales person use anything short of the earth falling as a reason not to go out. The problem, as I see it is not really with the rep but with the manager who accepts that as an answer.

I was on three appointments today, and at the first, the executive asked me if he could really 'motivate' his sales force. My answer was no. We might be able to inspire, but not motivate, that has to come from the person themselves. A manager can, though, set the tone of the office and the way in which the reps work. By accepting that it is OK not to go out on calls because it is too hot, sets the wrong tone.

Sorry I haven't written, but so much has been going on here, that I was just off track for the weekend.

Good Selling,

Steve

No comments: