Friday, April 25, 2008

WHY oh WHY?

I was actually thinking about the blog the other day, and why I started writing it in the first place. The answer is simple, I really thought that it would help sales people get insight into the hardest job in the world: selling!

The is no question in my mind that sales people are the ones that make it happen for all of us. I have on my desk a sign that picked up years ago that says "Nothing happens without sales." Today, more than ever that is true.

So what's with the economy. It seems to me that there are pockets of recession and pockets of relative stability. Obviously the housing market has been hit everywhere, and credit resources are in trouble. Nevertheless, it seems curious to me that all of this would happen immediately AFTER the politicians campaigning for president said it! They seem to have started a problem before it was emerging, and now they play upon the fears of most individuals.

I read yesterday that people are hoarding rice, buying bags of it at Costco. It seems that the store is allowing people to only by four 20 pound bags.

Then there was the story on the TODAY SHOW that said that people in the country were worried about the food supply. Meanwhile, the farmers are happy with the high prices that they are getting for their grain, now being used for fuel.

In my opinion, the refund that the country will be getting should help put money into the economy. But at the same time, if we are going through a recession the best that those funds will do is soften the blow.

I also think that it nuts for the presidential candidates to say that they will bring back the jobs that are lost overseas. Jobs in Ohio, Penn., etc, will not be back. They are lost forever, and the folks have to find new training. Here is the rub about everyone out of work...they aren't. Unemployment is low, so who are they talking about; the 60 year old guy who has retired from the plant five years ago?

So there are some thoughts for you.

As Hillary said in the beginning "Let's chat"...remember that crap?

Good selling,

Steve

No comments: