Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Four Bad Words

I remember being asked what the words that sales people hate hearing. (They are the ones who say it!) At that time, I said that it was "I'll think about it." Recently I have changed my mind about the words, and their meaning.

I was in London last week, as you know. I was in a Starbucks, waiting for a meeting to begin. In the corner there were four people having an animated discussion. It was obvious to me that three of them were trying to sell the fourth.

The meeting went on for awhile, and I stayed since I could hear the conversation, and frankly I wanted to know what it was about.,

It finally ended, and the women, facing the fourth, said to him "Well, thanks for your honesty." She was not being difficult. She realized that what ever they were selling, it was over. I thought about those words later, and hope that I never have to say them to anyone.

There is no question, that when you utter that phrase you have been told NO, and it time to move on. But, we all are sorry to hear that, and we all really want to say "What don't you get? Which word don't you understand.

Good Selling,

Steve

No comments: