Friday, September 5, 2008

The 70%plan

Max raised the issue that if the 70% plan that I wrote about last time is good, they why do we have these higher quotas...are they realistic.

I think that is a great question and one that deserves an answer.

Here is my thinking, we know from bitter experience that companies come up with quota from up high. I am not sure what they really mean anymore than you do. Nevertheless, there they are...the number that has to be hit. My thinking was to use that figure (the quota) but to take more of an average number and use that in building the sales force. In other words, let's get the average up. A 70% or better number is far better than the average of 50% which is where most people come in. Since we know that, why not work on the over all average, where we can have some influence.

Also, remember that it is to have each sales person be at 70% of plan OR BETTER so over all, the number plays wells with management.

The other factor was the pure math. Seventy per cent, up by twenty percent, is a great financial goal.

I was thinking, as I am writing this, how many sales people are at 70% of plan or better. And, Max, I agree that quota come from some place far off in the distance!

Good selling, and write your opinion.

Steve

No comments: