Friday, September 21, 2007

Five new things

There are five items that I think are important for a sales person to remember. Here we go:

1. Always be as positive as you can be, every day, no matter what happens.

2. Be prepared for every objection that a prospect can throw at you. There should be no surprises in sales.

3. Carry business cards with you, ALWAYS. You don't know how many times I have asked for cards after hours, and people just look at me like I have 2 heads. I always have my card why don't they have one too?

4. Take each and every sale personally. It is the way that you make your money. This thing about "rejection" is full of crap. It hurts when someone says NO to you. At least it does to me.

5. No one ever gets up saying they will be stupid for the day. We all make mistakes. Its OK. Just learn from them.

Good selling,

Steve

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Steve,

Today, I bought your the 20th ann. edition of "Cold Calling" and read it this morning. I have owned the 2nd edition for years. It was a good pick me upper.

Anyway, while I was cold calling today, I saw a company that I wanted to meet with. I couldn't get past the gatekeeper to the President so I searched his website and found his email address. I emailed him what is basically my cold calling script. He actually wrote me back and said he was in a PEO arrangement and was all set but thanks. I told him, "I understand. My most successful customers have said the same thing to me when I first contacted them, in fact, your situation reminds me of one of my biggest successes to date, ABC Internet(not the real name of my client). Can't we just get together? How's next Wednesday at 11am?" He wrote back to me and said, "Wednesday is no good. How's Tuesday?"

This was today at 3 oclock. I have been on cloud nine ever since. I hate going into the weekend without having a full book for the next week.

Anyway, this is the only appointment I was able to book today so I was feeling more down as the day went on. Emailing him was a last ditch effort when his secretary wouldn't let me talk to him. So.. anyway... the script works... even in written form. I won't let it replace CC but I will use it again from time to time.

Have a great weekend.

Scott NJ