Thursday, August 23, 2007

I have a sales call today at 4pm. Have you ever given some thought to the amount of time we spend traveling from call to call. Did you know that the average sales call is 3 hours. You have to factor in the traveling time, which in my case is about 1 hour, the actual meeting, again another hour. Then, finally, you have to return to home base. Another hour. Three hours for one meeting. Now take that and figure out your day.

If you total the time, the best you can do is 2 maybe 3 meetings a day, and that is without doing anything else, like cold calling. I don't think that managers or reps figure this out when they set goals. I cannot tell you how many times I hear, from managers, that they want their reps to see five people a day! Impossible. Actually, not even impossible, but totally wasteful, since it means that nothing else can be done that day for new new business.

Good Selling,
Steve

No comments: