Wednesday, August 1, 2007

WOW oh wow

So what is new in sales. I spoke to a sales rep from another organization today. And I said to him "what are you doing". He said to me" I am calling companies like the ones that we worked with in the past". I said "why not call THE companies that you DID work with in the past!"

Interesting, isn't it, that we some times miss the obvious. All of us do. We are so busy that we forget to look around and see the obvious. How many times have you reinvented some way to make calls, or your presentation that was working well, but YOU were bored with it? That is the greatest failing of most sales people.

They forget that it worked before, and there is no need to reinvent. At the same time, there are those people who never change anything even if it is not working for them. They do the same thing, day after day, even though it doesn't ever work.

Which are you. Are you boringly the same, or forever trying something new that doesn't work. Which do you think is better? Let me know.

Good Selling,
Steve

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always tell people that making money is boring once you learn how. Just ride the winning horse again and again until it stops winning.

Stephan Schiffman said...

You are really right about that! there is nothing that wrong about playing it out and then moving on. Keep going!

ss

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog and reading this one really hit home. This post is funny actually, ...considering. I'll explain. I just reentered the sales field this year. In 1999 I started my dream job selling employee benefits to large companies. I bought your book, studied it and became the #1 sales person in our company, where I tripled the production of everyone of the 43 other agents in our company. I sold just under $200,000 in commission and the next closest person of the 43 sold less than $50k. Which was pretty typical for our industry. Within a year after I started, our benefits firm was sold to a large bank and they cut our commissions in half. So, I left.

So, why is this post funny? Because I was on the web tonight looking for other sales peoples sales numbers and blogs. Specifically for cold calling ratios, scripts and stuff. I know how to cold call and I am very good at it. But for some reason, I was thinking I had to learn everything all over again. Like everything has changed in the last few years.

Anyway, thanks for starting this blog and for writing your books. They really helped me.

Scott in NJ