Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Don't prospect!

I know, you are reading that headline and thinking, what is he nuts this morning. After all the times that I have written that the only way to end a sales slump is to prospect...see more people...today I am telling you not to do that.

There are some times when prospecting may not be the right solution. Suppose that you are having trouble just getting the deal, you cannot close the sale.

I had a client call me yesterday and tell me that her people where not "closers". My answer was that the opening of the sale was weak and therefore, the close never did happen. In essence since they did not ask good questions in the beginning they were just doing proposals and their closing ratio was 8%! A mailing might have done a better job.

The answer is in the answer, as better and more relevant questions. Start to understand what they do, How they do it, When they do it, Who they do it with and Why they do it t hat way. Then and only then, begin to put together your thoughts on how your product, or service, can help them do something better than what they are doing now.


The status quo is always present and is your #1 competitor.

Good Selling, Steve


BTW: have a bad cold today...feel really crappy. Sorry. ss

1 comment:

L. Yanez said...

Don't Prospect - so I should throw out all your books??? That got my attention! Great to see that Russia is being "Schiffmanized" - you'll have to find out how to say "It it what it is" in Russian! Still one of your most devoted fans! I just bought the questions book for my husband - All the best, Lyn