Friday, March 28, 2008

Friday at 3 30pm

It seems that whenever I am on a plane there is some guy taking out his computer and working. I remember flying from some place to some place and the flight was 34 minutes. This guy took out the computer, turned it on, only to have to turn it down in 10 minutes.

I know all about multi-tasking, and I am sure we all do that, but for the love of god, how about getting real.

Is it really necessary to work every minute of every day. It is 3 30pm on a Friday, and to be honest, things have slowed down. I have cleaned up my desk, made the calls that I needed too, replied to all the emails, and now it is time to STOP!

Yes, I wrote STOP. There is a point in the week when YOU deserve the time to yourself, you can lay back and just give in to nothingness! Why are we so obsessed with work. Don't confuse that last statement, because I am obsessed like the next person. And there times when I feel that I never leave the office, even if I do.

But on the plane, on the train, in the car, on the boat, in the street, while eating...those are my times, and I refuse to go nuts then.

One rule, that I have written about, is to make sure that you, as a sales person, is have a real lunch every day. To me that means going to a place where I can sit down and where there are white table cloths. There is nothing more important for the sales person to treat themselves to an hour of down time during the day.

Now, as I always say, don't be stupid about this. There are times when you cannot do this. You have appointments, proposals and calls to make. Therefore, there is no let up. BUT, then again, how much more productive would you be if you took the time to take care of yourself?

Give "you" a break, no one else will.

Good Selling,

Steve

BTW: we close four deals this week, a very good week if I do say so myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you practice what you preach?

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't you work a 25th hour of the day for an extra $.05?

Who's kidding who here?