Monday, March 31, 2008

TIPS

It struck me the other day that one area that would help sales people do a better job would be if they knew how to not waste time. So, here is a short list of tips to help manage your time more effectively.

1. Always do your expense reports as soon as you can. Waiting two weeks only means that you will forget items and will take you longer to finish it.

2. Make sure your brief case is filled with the right material each evening. Don't wait for an appointment to happen before you think about what you need. Be prepared.

3. Do email once an hour, not at every second of the day. Too often I hear of sale people answering their email the second it comes in. That takes you out of what you were doing, and changes your pace. Of course, if you were doing nothing, then shame on you.

4. Get in early and stay only as long as you need too. In essence, don't burn the candle at both ends. You need to go home at a reasonable time and not be so tired that you cannot function.

5. Deal with a piece of paper twice and then throw it out. I open the letters that I get, put them into two piles; one for immediate action, the other for later. I go through the immediate pile, react and dump the page. The second pile I may do later, but still I throw it out after I react to it the second time.

Try these, and let me know what works.

Good Selling,

Steve


BTW: I will be in Central America for the next few days, so I will not be able to write until I am back. Don't stop selling in the mean time! Prospect! and sell like hell!

ss

BTW, again: who do you think, out of the 3 candidates, will be better for the economy? Let me know your thinking concerning the election.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve -

These are all great tips. I have always been a big fan of your work, and insist that others in my field read your books as well as your blog.

To answer your "PS" - I do not see how either Democrat candidate will beter the econoomy. As long as Democrats punish the rich for being successful investors and business people, money will LEAVE the economy. While I do not always agree with the Republican Party on the 'whole', I am certain that we need people to keep building businesses, hiring employees, producing goods and selling them for a profit. This is Capitalism at it's best, and the Liberals and Democrats will never embrace this.

Anonymous said...

Do you REALLY reimburse your employees for their expenses?????

Anonymous said...

reading your stuff is a time waster.

Anonymous said...

Hey Steve - thanks for making me rich! Guy Miller former DEI Sales Trainer & #1 in Sales at DEI.

Anonymous said...

Hey Guy, then why did you fire the schiffy one?