Sunday, March 9, 2008

The modern way to sell?

I have often thought that there might be a more "modern" way to sell. I am working on new book, and that subject comes up when I project what selling will be like in 50 years. Then, I think, the role of the sales person will be to maintain accounts, not merely sell to them. What about now?

In looking at the role of the salesperson there are four elements, or skills that the sale person of today needs to have.

The first is the ability to prospect
The second is the ability to make a good sales presentation
the third is the knowledge about his or her product
and finally, there is the whole issue of personal development.

When examining these, it is apparent that 45% of skills are in prospecting and 20% is in the ability to make an effective presentation. That means 65% of what we do as sales people is finding people and telling them what we do.

Yes, you can argue that product knowledge is significant, but there always are tech people who have that ability. And yes, you can argue that you have to be personally dedicated.

I remember when I started the buzz was AIM, attitude is money. I am not sure that a strong personal attitude will be enough anymore. There has to be a skill set that will allow you to succeed. All of the great ideas that you have about yourself means little if you don't prospect...if you don't do the job!

When it comes down to it, It is all about doing the job! By the way, what would you think is the most important skill that YOU need to be #1 in your company. If you can identify that, then why not DO it? I have often thought of that.

Anyway, Good selling,

Steve

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I sold as a freight broker. Knowing my customer on a cold call was the most important attribute I could have.

I spend HOURS finding out everything about them. Most times I knew more about their shipping then the traffic manager.

Very rare was a sale not closed.

MANY times. I saved my self time. Seeing the sales call was not worth my time.

Anonymous said...

I would make sure that the company's web-site was accurate and up to date. Especially when it came to time sensitive material. Too bad you or your staff don't feel the same way! How was that March 6th Webinar anyway????