Monday, March 3, 2008

Help 'em

Sometimes I am asked what is a good definition of sales. I have been working on that for 30 years, yes, I feel that old sometimes! Nevertheless, Sales is complicated. And I can give you a complicated definition which involves the concepts of needs or pain, etc.

Rather here is the one that I use in all the material:
Sales is:
Asking people what they do,
How they do it,
When they do it,
Who they do it with' And why they do it that way, and then and only then helping them do what it is they do BETTER.

It really comes down to understanding the company or person and providing some service or product that will help them do something better than they are using now. It is then that we can knock out the Status Quo, which is what we need to do.

Think of this when you selling, and win!

Good selling,

Steve

3 comments:

Max Rosenthal said...

"Get what you want by giving others what they want" is also a good definition.

Anonymous said...

Are you guys for real, can you get any more lame in defining sales than this? Selling is about driving revenue, top line, and keeping enugh to keep the Vampires on Wall Street happy!

Look at your stuff, it doesn't help people do things better, but you still sell it. Why?

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is so different than what I am hearing from "successful" coaches that I am working with right now. I am becoming a GREAT sales person because of these ideas. I hope to find my niche and use everything that are in books like this one to help me stabalize my ladder to the top. Peace