Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Who would have thought

The governor of New York State gets caught, the price of oil is at a new high, housing values are going down, the dollar is worth 1/2 of a pound sterling. Can it get any worse than this?

With all the negatives in the world today, what can a sales person do to succeed. Maybe the answer is to give up and move on. I have been hearing that from a variety of sales people from many industries; that they are seeking a better, more stable position.

I am not for that, and my motto is to never give up. At the same time is there a time when you would throw it all in for something easier, maybe with a little more security?

There are some of you who are so negative, I wonder why you got into selling. In fact I wonder how you got the job in the first place. It sure wasn't your personality that "sold" you. I am getting to the point where I wonder where all the good sales people have gone.

It seems to me that about 25% of sales people are good at what they do, and the rest, well, they hang on. Since the companies need the head count, they keep their jobs. Let us say that we let go of 50% of the sales force, would that matter to most companies? I don't think so.

So this is a negative entry, maybe the only one that you will read here. It does mimic the sounds that some of you make when talking about your job in sales. To be frank, and real honest, if you don't like sales, get out.

Good selling, to some!

Steve

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just finished reading your book and am actually going in the opposite direction that you mention in your blog this morning. I was just laid off from a very good paying job due to no fault of my own. The company downsized 400 people due to the mortgage mess. I decided that I have made money for other people and it is now time to take those talents and make money for myself. I found an awesome product that everytime I talk about it I sell it. My challenge is I want to GO BIG and sell to retailers. I found I was balking at the prospecting calls. Your book has reenergized me and I am getting my house in order and starting the 21 day challenge. I will keep you posted.

Anonymous said...

If you never give up then why did you stop trying to sell your franchises for a period of time?

Stephan Schiffman said...

AKKA: keep going, and let me know what is happening. You will always make more money working for yourself. Take advantage of this opportunity. With regards to the franchise, we just had to reorganize, not really stop.

thanks for asking, it is good comment.

ss

Anonymous said...

Why is your network map mostly blanks? Do deals fall through or have so many failed-aka-reorganization?

Anonymous said...

In reading all your entries, they are all quite negative....in fact, the only thing they are positive about, are...in fact...you!

Anonymous said...

You are negative about the people who attend your programs, You feel crappy-like anyone cares, Prospect... oh wait don't prospect... Prospects cancel appointments-get over it! Go back and read your own entries...NEGATIVITY throughout!

Anonymous said...

There is nothing in the world more secure than sales. If you found yourself living on the street, it would help greatly to be persuasive in order to simply survive. Recession, Depression, bad or good economy, is only between our ears.