Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Ahead of the curve

I was with a group of financial advisers yesterday, and I made the statement that once you are behind in the dollars, it is almost impossible to catch up. I was challenged by one man, and I thought about this last night.

There is a point in the life of everyone in sales, where they wonder if they are really doing the thing that the like most. In other words, they question the sales job. What is interesting about this is that EVERY body does! The point is whether we can tell that we are so behind the curve that we cannot sell our way out.

I have seen too many sales people who, by not tracking, fail to see what is happening up ahead. They fool themselves into thinking that the "big" sale will be there any moment; all will be right with the world.

I track a special group of folks, and I can see, already, where their year will end. I wonder if they see what I see, or do they sit in a state of denial? I do not know. Do you?

To PT: thanks for the call. The CC book is great, thanks. But also look at "Getting to Close" which will give you more insight into my thinking about sales.

And a special thanks to ML for the kind comments.

BTW: a personal plug, I have a new book coming out in the fall on the more experienced sales person, look for it.

Good selling,

Steve

1 comment:

Andy Martin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.