Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The big account

I was speaking to a rep today who told me that he only goes after the truly BIG accounts. they pay off better he said. And I asked, "How long does it take to land one?" The answer was 2 years! How does someone make a living that way, unless the company is willing to front him for that time.

The reality is that few companies will give a rep that much time before they make a sale. Usually, something has to happen in the first six months, at least. If you are the one going after the BIG deal, it might be wise to reevaluate what your company policy is, before stalking the prey.

Good Selling, Steve

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for your advice Steve...I'll do just like you say. I really like this blog.

Stan

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve:

I'm so glad you received my posting and have responded.

Well, what's doing after 25 years you ask? I am working full time at the College of Staten Island. I am still married to Mitch (27 years) (remember, your daughter was my flower girl), our son is turning 22 in August. He attends the College of Staten Island and will graduate this coming December. He has a double major in math and economics. He's doing a paid internship this summer in the city. In fact, they are going to have him do some "cold calling" When he told me that, I thought of you.

What's doing with you? How is your wife and daughters? I enjoy reading your blog. As always, you have good common sense advice presented in a witty manner.

Hope to hear from you again.


Vicki L.

Unknown said...

Hi Steve here's the script I've come up with and it would be a honor to have the guru of sales comment on it.

Good Morning Mr/Ms how are you today?.....response. My name is Stan Maendel and I’m with Castle Currency Management Inc, here in Winnipeg, we work with exporting companies to help protect themselves against a fluctuating Canadian dollar. From the research I’ve done ____company name____has about ___dollar figure__ dollars worth of exports a year that is potentially a significant amount of risk. The reason I’m calling today specifically is to set an appointment so we can stop by and show you how we could possibly benefit your company and how we’ve benefited other exporters.