Saturday, June 16, 2007

The next step

The last time that I wrote I promised that I would tell you about the importance of having a next step after every sales call. As you will recall, I went on a sales meeting that went pretty well. That is to say, the conversation was good, reasonably focused, and may (one day) lead to a sale.

But at the end of the meeting, when I suggested that we meet again, the prospect said "NO need, at this time". I was left with nothing. And that is what I mean by a next step. Yes, you could argue that my plan of calling her in a month is a next step, but I am the only one taking the step.

She will not be participating in that moment.

It will only be me.

The key to the next step is not in having you make the move, but to see what the other person will do. Since she did not agree to my calling her, or anything else, I am left in limbo.

Always go for the next step, it will tell you if you really have anything to talk about afterwards.

Good selling.

Steve

No comments: